Sunday, December 4, 2016

Lack of Amenity Towards Our Identity

Media is all around us; our generation was born and raised off of it. We haven't exactly had a day without it.
A friend once told me that the season we are so attached to our phones is because we were born and we grew up with it always at our hands. They compared it to how a child goes to their teddy bear for comfort, but eventually they need to grow up and not depend on it anymore. Metaphorically, our phones, TVs, and tablets are this teddy bear, and since we have not been separated from it from when we were little, we constantly feel the need to have it at our side or in our pockets.
After hearing this, it made me realize how truly attached I am and how others are to their devices, and it is true that it is a way to find comfort. Besides the fact that electronics are fun and what not, they have given the 21st century a way to escape from reality without moving. I personally do go to my phone to sometimes just clock out of the world for a bit and focus on things I like or would want for myself. But when is enough enough?
We have become so wrapped up in social media that we have began to loose our own identity and we all become some weird human race that all like the same thing. Don't get me wrong, there are some that really just don't care about what people think and just be themselves, but most, some even without being aware of it, try to do what makes them fit in, even if that means that you have to hide some of your favorite things so that you will not be judged by others for it. Social Media is beginning to loose its encouragement for individuality and is beginning to just shape us all into the mold that it wants us to be.
I do love Social Media though. I know that it isn't necessarily benefitting me in anyway, but I still like it. Why though? I do not really know. Maybe because of the whole teddy bear thing or that it does show me what I like, but it also shows me what I should be in order to "fit in". I have to buy certain shampoo's to make my hair beautiful, certain clothes to make me look fashionable, eat certain foods to have a nice body.
It becomes tiring.
Yes, it is true that in today's day and age that we have been encouraging all body types and how everyone is beautiful and what not, but we still see these kinds of advertisements everywhere we go.
I feel like most people today think that they are their own individual, including myself, but when we look beyond it, I believe we can see that we are sucked into this constant need to be someone better then who we are because that is what Social Media wants us to do. They want us to give them money so they can sell more, so we will buy more, and it just continues in this big ol' circle. All they care about is that they are making money, not that we are loosing our identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment